There are similarities and differences between leadership in a corporate setting and leadership in a startup setting. In a startup, things move much more quickly, teams are much smaller and more cross functional, and the leadership challenges faced by founders are often unique. There were a series of videos made back in 2010 in support of a course at MIT that you may find helpful - check them out.
Segment One: Introduction, Entrepreneurial Ventures, and Leadership Models
- 15 min: Introduction to Course and Logistics
- 30 min: Entrepreneurial Challenge #1: Balancing Leadership and Management
- 45 min: Summary of Relevant Leadership Models
Segment Two: Evolution, Leadership, and Culture
- 20 min: Evolution of Entrepreneurial Ventures
- 45 min: Leadership, Values and Culture
- 15 min: Identifying Students' Specific Challenges & Questions for Entrepreneurial Leadership
Segment Three: Student Areas of Interest and Discussion
- 15 min: Presentation of Students' Specific Areas of Interest Regarding Entrepreneurial Leadership
- 45 min: Overview and Discussion of "How Founders/Leaders Create Organizational Cultures"
Segment Four: Discussion, Summary, and Closing
- 80 min: Interactive Dialogue with Class on Their Identified Areas of Interest
- 15 min: Summary and Close